Sunday, June 19, 2011

Knickers


It was the much anticipated Girl Guide Jumble Sale this weekend. We were feeling rather blasé about the whole affair, being old hands and everything. Both us adults were given bric-a-brac tables to sell (I'm sure in the hierarchy of jumble sales thats 'up there'). However, sorting of the jumble needed to be done the evening before.

We got stuck in to the mountain of bin bags, shopping bags and falling apart assortment of cardboard boxes in which people had deposited their preloved treasures. All was going well, the guides all opted to 'sort' the toys, which as far as I could tell was find toys (1 minute), put on table (30 seconds), establish if toy was play-worthy (10 minutes). Their other objective was to retrieve anything  of theirs parents had donated! 

It fell to us sensible adults to properly sort everything else. I attacked the bags with gusto, first I attempted to look at the clothes, fold nicely and place on the table in t-shirt/blouse/skirt/trouser piles (a librarian through and through). This was soon overtaken by the necessity of just one pile, making sure it didn't fall off the table. I reassured myself with thoughts of "oh well, it will all be a mess within five minutes of the doors opening."

With my enthusiasm, and decreased standards, I emptied the next bag of clothes onto the floor for rough sorting purposes. This I instantly regretted. I was greeted with a load of multicoloured undies, bras, pants and socks! Who would donate those?! A Guide, almost as horrified as me, said - people actually buy them as well! She, however, was very un-Guide like and wouldn't help me handle the said garments to pile onto the table. I found a small box which could be used for display purposes and shoved everything into that. Thank goodness for hand sanitizer and availability of counselling around OCD issues.

The bric-a-brac tables looked great. We grabbed some early bargains (staff perks) and the Scout hut looked all set for the onslaught of bargain hunters.

Our bargains included jodhpurs for Maisie, a jug, a nice woollen blanket, and a singing mexican hamster in need of more batteries. NO Knickers; none at all. And the best bit - £270 raised for the Guides.




1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Sounds like an interesting experience and congratulations on the amount raised. The bric a brac looks above average.

    We used to go to jumble sales, our main source of entertainment on many a Saturday, but have had to stop or move to a larger house! Actually moved to a smaller one when we came south.

    Adopting the singing hamster may have been an a kindness too far though :) Played it to Ian and now he's humming 'La Cucaracha' at breakfast. Also I had to turn to Google for
    spelling! Time for toast I think.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete