Saturday, February 5, 2011

Nailed it



After much hunting for a nail kit, I found a french manicure kit, not for myself you understand, but for Maisie and her friend. £3 from Debenhams, a bargain! Way better than the £25 over the top kit form Argos, and Claire's Accessories - well they could do with a visit from Mary Portas (my new crush - not virtual this time) and one of her retail overhaul sessions where the customer comes first.

Here's the scene - Sheffield high street, lunchtime, very busy, a slightly butch, slightly overweight lesbian enters stage left. Steps into Claire's Accessories, on the look out for a nail art kit. Two assistants, one customer (me). Waiting for a gap in their conversation (banal) "Excuse me, I'm looking for a nail art kit." I thought I'd make light of the situation; "not for me of course." I might have just as well have thrown up on the counter for the look I got. One of them managed a point towards a display on ground level. I creak down with my middle-aged knees to look, fairly hopeful (after having visited Boots and Superdrug  to no avail). I was, however, slightly disappointed as the kit wasn't quite what Maisie had in mind. I expressed my disappointment to the lovely assistant, hoping for some actual care (I was their only customer, after all). Sarcastic voice - "Well, you can go to Boots or Superdrug then". Dismissed. The end. Conversation (still banal) resumed.

The woman in Debenhams was lovely.

Maisie's friend arrived, a great evening watching them play with the Wii, then off to Meadowhall shopping mall the next day - more retail therapy. We enjoyed sushi for lunch, and the girls went off by themselves for an hour (with only a little parental anxiety). They headed straight for Claire's - although I suspect may have fitted the store demographic more than me.

Oh yes - it's been really windy, a tree blew down in the garden, time to get the chainsaw out again.





No comments:

Post a Comment