Saturday, June 26, 2010

Well Dressed


With all the footie excitement, it's been easy to overlook the local annual well dressings. We were driving through Litton and happened upon this one - the Children's Well.


Well dressing is a custom of the Peak District dating back hundreds of years. The origins are largely unknown, but the dressing often have religious connotations. The wells are decorated with flower petals, berries, moss, and seeds pressed into clay in a wooden frame. Some villages have been using the same clay forever, cleaning it each year.


Maisie is off at White Hall outdoor activities centre this weekend, we are having an easy weekend with the tennis, and the big match on Sunday. I suspect there will be a shortage of BBQ charcoal throughout the country.


I have been enjoying my new job, and walking up a hill for 20 minutes to get to my car park is keeping me fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment